The scope was being sold on ebay as an auction lot from a house clearance, the description read like this:
So I put a bid in for £25 which was reasonable for a non working scope, in my opinion and it arrived some time later - to my surprise there is nothing (functionally) wrong with it, it switched on without a hitch! No burns on the screen, and all the buttons and switches work well with very little noise. The original owner has changed the fine control on the 2ndary sweep speed, but other than that all original and in reasonable nic :)
I took some photos of the inside and outside of the scope, and have given it a breif clean - but given that it's a 1971 scope and likely never had a good clean, I'm sure the reader can imagine how dirty it is inside. To clean it properly I'll need to buy some rubbing alcohol and a can or 5 of compressed air
More images here.
Licensed as CC-BY-NC 3.0, 2013